Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?

To: ejrussell@mebtel.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:20:13 -0500
With a little googling, I found:

http://www.interstatewest.com/safty_tips.html

which includes the statement:

* Check your coupler periodically for adequate lubrication. A dry coupler
and hitch ball will cause excessive wear. This will result in coupler or
component replacement.

Also found:

http://dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Trailer/

which says:

  Periodically lubricate the hitch for longer wear and quieter turns.

And then there's:

http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/o_tips.html

that says:

* Check the coupler for any unusual wear or damage. It is also important to
keep the coupler clean and lubricated with a light coat of grease in the
ball cavity.

There are plenty more sites with similar advice.  It seems to be unanimous
for lubricating the ball.  You may want to do a bit of internet reading
yourself if you are new to trailer towing, as you say.  There's a lot more
useful info out there.

-Steve Trovato
trovato@computer.net