RE: implements for grass cutting and snow removal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: implements for grass cutting and snow removal
From: Eric@megageek.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:12:58 -0500
Well, I've posted here before about this.  I recommend looking for a
commercial guy that is selling some equipment.
I have over 15 acres, and almost a 200' driveway with turn arounds and 3
neighbor driveways.

Most of the time, you can pick up commercial grade equipment for dirt.
(too big for most homeowners, and commercial guys need to have something
that runs 100%)

I picked up a Hustler 275 package about 7 years ago.  It's a dual
hydrostatic drive (LESS THAN ZERO turn radius).  It has a 24 hp Kohler
Cast Iron motor.  It has a "2-point" hitch in front.  I have a 6' plow, 6'
mower deck, and a 6' dual stage snowblower.  Plus I made a "hitch
attachment" for it to move my trailers around.    It has a removal RUPPS
and DP Cage.
It also has a "wishbone" trailer designed for it that it just rides up on
and the ramps flip up automatically and it locks into place.

The whole package was less than $4k.  (what a good Wheel Horse will run
you)

BUT, This thing is the cat's meow!  Just this past winter, I had 28"
inches of snow with over 3' drifts.  This thing made short work of it.
(note, I had to use my bulldozer to get the blower attachment out of my
one barns.)  FWIW, in my old house, this blower broke a cars window in my
NEIGHBORS driveway.  (over 20' away.)  It will also not even flinch at a
frozen newspaper (the arch nemesis of most snowblowers)

With the RUPPS cage on, its fully enclosed.  So as it's snowing or
sleeting, I'm nice and dry.

It out cuts my buddies Groundmaster hands down.  (except on big flat
fields where the groundsmaster is slightly faster and easier to stay
straight.)

Also, by having one piece with attachments, it's less motors to maintain
and service and batteries to charge.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any
"downtime" to pull the motor and give it an overhaul.  (that's right, 7
years with only changing oil.)

If you want to see a pic of it, check out my website's photoalbum...
http://www.megageek.com/photo/photoa~1.nsf

Click on the "Equipment" link and go to "Hustler 275 (Killdozer)" link.  It's
only one pic, with the plow on.  I want to get more.

Inch
http://megageek.com

"Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?"
R Waters.