Re: implements for grass cutting and snow removal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: implements for grass cutting and snow removal
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:32:43 -0500
>Hi Ron,
>
>I live on 10 acres of woods on the top of a mountain, in southern NY,
>with a 500' gravel driveway. I used to use an Allis Chalmers D14 Farm
>Tractor with a back blade. Never worked well. I replaced it with a used
>walk behind 32" 5/10? hp John Deere snow blower (biggest one). Works
>very well. Up and down the driveway twice, and it's done. Also does
>walks and gets around parked cars, mail boxes, etc.

We've a 300' steel slag driveway, a 28" 8hp two-stage MTD blower, and
some shovels.  This is Northern Indiana, so we don't get nearly as
much snow as buffalo, but we do sometimes get a foot or so at once.
I'd think I'd want a bigger blower if it snowed more (of course, it
wouldn't fit anywhere...  Maybe just a blower for the snowblower?)
heavily more often.  With more than about 8", it can only do
half-widths without getting bogged down.  If you go much bigger, you
won't be able to walks and such.