Re: Air Ducts

To: mattmahony@attbi.com
Subject: Re: Air Ducts
From: Andy Poling <andy@realbig.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:07:32 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 mattmahony@attbi.com wrote:
> It would be smart to put dampers in every tapping collar and wye branch
> to balance the airflow.

I'll second that notion.

The dampers are money well spent since they enable you to "balance" the
system:  adjust the airflows to achieve the desired heating and/or cooling
effect in each room/area.  This is invaluable if you may ever put stuff in one
area that may generate significant heat (like half a dozen computers in a
small-ish bedroom office - don't ask me how I know) or if your solar load on
various areas may change later due to changes in window glazing, etc.  The
dampers let you over-size the ductwork (and damp it back down some).  Then,
when you later need a local capacity increase, you just open the damper some.

Here's a tip: put the dampers as far as possible from the vents to reduce the
noise they may generate.  You can buy dampers built into the vents, but they
tend to be noisy and cause condensation if you're running chilled air through
the vent.  BTDT.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky              91 Miata - Steve               84 RZ350 - Sting