Sheet Metal Ducts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Sheet Metal Ducts
From: shiples@attbi.com
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:36:03 +0000
>Has anybody ever tackled a job like this that could share some wisdom?
>Assuming I couldn't get the sheetmetal bending equipment, is there a
>way I could mix folded insulation and steel to obtain stronger ducts?

You can make a lot of duct work by assembling a mix of rectangular and
round that you can purchase at the local home center.  I've done this
twice, an oil to forced air electric conversion and a major remodel.

There's a plumbing store in Seattle called Harwood's and Bob has worked
in the trades.  He worked off the plans for my remodel and has designed
plumbing, electrical, and ducting systems for me.  For sheet metal tools
he sold me a pair of snips and flanging pliers (vice grips with wide jaws).

For the house I'm in now, I used rectangular ducts under the main floor
(one for hot, one for cold) that run east/west, then tap off the rectangular
with round to feed the individual rooms.  Bob calculated the size of the
duct.  It's large near the furnace and steps down based on the number of
round taps off the rectangular ducts.  (The calculations are unknown to me.)

Works fairly well if you use the standard pieces, the trick is to avoid
custom fabrication.  The sheet metal shop costs money, my attempts need
lots of tape.  (Both duct tape and bandaids)

Steve Shipley