Air Ducts

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Air Ducts
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 17:37:54 -0500
My HVAC ducts, made from folded insulation, are less than 12 years old and
falling apart everywhere. The ducts themselves are pulling apart at the seams
and
the tape on the joints is coming unstuck. Also the supporting brackets are
cracking from fatigue.

All the runs are straight with no complicated jogs or bends. Would replacing
them
with more insulated duct, or better yet galvanized steel duct, be within the
realm of a do-it-yourselfer, assuming I could rent the necessary bending
equipment? I probably couldn't do a worse job than what was done already.

Has anybody ever tackled a job like this that could share some wisdom? Assuming
couldn't get the sheetmetal bending equipment, is there a way I could mix folded
insulation and steel to obtain stronger ducts?

Thanks
Jon