RE: running black pipe along walls.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: running black pipe along walls.
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:14:27 -0600
I used pipe hangers that attach the pipe to the ceiling joists.  A
clamp-type device hooks to the pipe and you buy threaded rod and cut to
length to attach to the ceiling mount which accepts the threaded rod.

I followed the Tip Tools recommendation for piping.  My installation is a
black pipe loop that runs around the shop in a continuous loop.  The entire
loop is then tilted so that one corner is lower than the rest so that water
from the entire loop drains to a single point.  Ideally, you should feed air
into the system from a higher point.  With the pipe suspended from the
ceiling, it was easy to adjust the tilt in the system.  I believe it would
have been harder if it were attached to the walls.

Secondly, the ceiling installation allows you to keep the pipe off the wall
so that you can you have the air exit from the top of the pipe before
heading back down. I attached the down pipes to the wall and added another
loop at the exit point as shown in the Tip diagram.  I have been very
pleased with this installation and have experienced virtually no problems
with moisture in my lines.  Since installing the black pipe with the drip
loops, my sand blaster has not clogged a single time due to moisture.

The only down side to the black pipe is the time it takes to install it.
It's a lot of cutting and fitting but worth the effort.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville