running black pipe along walls.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: running black pipe along walls.
From: nicholas harteau <nrh@ikami.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:01:14 -0600
first and foremost, happy new year!

I'm going to be running some black pipe around the walls of my warehouse
for compressed air (thank you, shop-talk archives), but I'm wondering
what the best way to fasten it to the walls would be.

The walls are plain old cement brick; it's going to be a decent amount
of pipe, probably near 200' in all.  I was thinking I could hang some 1"
channel bar vertically at intervals along the wall and then mount the
black pipe onto that, the bonus being that it'd be raised up from some
of the other crap that's already running along the wall, and I could run
other things on the channel as well (I'm going to need some 220 service
soon, as well as a run of water).

Or is this overkill and I should just U-bolt it to the wall?

As far as fastening into cement brick goes, what kind of fasteners are
we talking about?  Expando-bolts into the actual brick or into the
mortar between them?

The overall project is to T the black pipe every 20 feet or so, and then
run flexible air tube down from the Ts (8' high or so to keep them out
of harm's way) into hose reels.  Revision 1 would just have a shut-off
valve and an NPT fitting on one end to hook up to a roll-around air
compressor.  Revision 2 would include an air/oil filter and a stationary
compressor.  I don't plan on using this air supply for painting.

As far as actually assembling the pipe to be air-tight, is there a
sealant to use on the threads, or just teflon tape?

--
nicholas harteau
nrh@ikami.com