Insulation question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Insulation question
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:45:24 EST
I am getting ready to buy fiberglass insulation for the walls of my pole
barn.  The wall cavity depth is a little over 5" (4x4 post and 2x4 purlins).
My choices for insulation is 3-1/2 R13 or 6-1/4 R19.  My question is, if I
put the 6-1/2" insulation into a 5" space will compressing it lower the R
value to that of the 3-1/2" stuff?  I would like the additional r value since
I live in Northern Ohio but don't want to waste the money if compressing it
drops the R significantly.  Naturally Owens Corning customer service is
closed today and I need to buy this weekend (sale going on :))

Marty