Re: replacing just a door frame...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: replacing just a door frame...
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 09:39:13 -0500
I would replace just the jamb side frame. Carefully remove the trim.
(Pull any finish nails that stay with the trim from the *back* of the
piece - if you knock them out through the front you will also knock
out a divot of wood from the face of your trim.)

The jamb is likely to be attached to the threshold with nails going
vertically through the threshold into the jamb. The side jamb might be
fastened to the head jamb with either a rabbet joint or dado. With the
trim off you should be able to see this joint in cross section and
figure out how to dis-assemble.

It might be easiest to cut the jamb into 3 pieces - cut it near the
top & bottom and remove the center section then the top & bottom.
There should be nails &/or screws through the jamb into the framing
studs. Take all your measurements to replicate the piece *before* you
cut it apart.

Replicate the damaged jamb and replace. The original might be milled
in 1 or 2 pieces. Use whatever method is easiest to make a new piece.
You will not be able to nail up through the threshold. Cut off the old
nails and toenail the replacement in place. Know that all doors are
not necessarily square - especially old doors. Houses settle and doors
get planed to fit.

When you get all back together (see comment below) consider some solid
blocking behind the latch area. Don't add too much and make the jamb
bow out. Then use long screws to attach the latch plate solidly
through the jamb to the door framing. This would make the door more
secure. It might mean that the next vandal would ruin your nice door
instead of the jamb however...

(editorial comment: my wife wants to know why it takes me so long to
complete a project when Bob Villa always finishes in 1/2 an hour...)

Eric