Re: Insulation question

To: MJSUKEY@cs.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Insulation question
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 11:45:31 -0500
Marty,

I'm in New York, and typical exterior wall construction is 2x6 framing with
R-19.  As everybody knows, a 2x6 isn't 2 inches by 6 inches.  It's more
like 5 1/2.  The R-19 is intended to fit in this space.  I don't know where
you got the 6 1/2 number.  It doesn't sound like you would need to compress
the insulation very much.  I would go with the R19.  BTW, when I put an
addition on my house some years ago, I bought R-21 insulation that was
intended for the same wall thickness.  I don't think it makes that much
difference, but at the time I figured "what the heck".

-Steve