Re: measuring instruments/Tools

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: measuring instruments/Tools
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:31:33 -0600
Interesting side light Randall...... YEP my Great grandfather left me his
L.S. Starrett machinist tools.... he worked on Jet engines in the early 50's
in other words he was one of the best machinist's in the country at the
time.... and in those days there were lots more to pick from....

Ole Gramps' couldn't pass up a file sale or a drill bit sale.... Damn I got
a Bazillion of them.....

All the old Starrett stuff is in Perfect condition... he used them but
didn't abuse them.... just really pretty stuff.... bout like the jewelry
drawers that I refer to when opening my Snap on wrench sets....

My take on Junk Tools.... is you get what you pay for... the real question
is exactly what do you require from them.... if your the average guy who
does his best on weekends to play with your car.... an average set of tools
are just fine... and I'm not going to say Craftsmen is junk..... cause I
have them too... but only for jobs that I don't do often.... if I'm going to
work with a tool a lot ... I always select the best quality I can afford....
Even when I was Poor I bought Snap on tools.... only in the early years... I
had to buy them in pawn shops.... but Snap on tools can't hear... or see....
so they don't know where you bought them.... LOL

I lived in Germany for 3 yrs and tried desperately to find some quality
tools to bring home with me.... ya know the deal.... German Mechanic's are
soooo picky and all that.... ( they are parts changers just like most here
in the states by the way ).... but.... They buy Snap on.... no kidding...
amazing....

I came home with Two Hammers... that was the extent of the quality available
there..

Amazing.... oh and buy the way... I have some lovely Mac and Kobalt stuff...
quality is quality.... I'm not married to the brand as much as the tool at
hand... What I hate about Snap on is the credit deal.... I have always paid
cash for my tools... and folks think I acquired them with the Snap On credit
plan... which I dang sure would NEVER do....  silly but it matters to me
personally...

Keith