Re[3]: More questions about measuring instruments)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[3]: More questions about measuring instruments)
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:05:52 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:11:52 -0800 (PST) Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
wrote:
> Husky wrenches are surprisingly good.

i have a set of metric 1/2" drive Husky deep sockets that are really pretty
decent, as well as a very acceptable set of metric combination wrenches (12
point in the box end, though, unfortunately. other than that i really like
them.)

> I've got a half-dozen Snap-On tools in my chest:

ditto. my snap-on 1/2" drive ratchet is far and away superior to any
craftsman ratchet i have ever used. my 1/2" drive snap-on torque wrench has
performed very, very well over the years. i have a handful of 6 point 1/2"
drive metric sockets, and a couple of metric allen head sockets, and that's
about it for my snap-on collection. they're just too bloody expensive to
own any more of 'em.

> But we were talking about measuring tools. I'm quite fond of Starrett.
> I also have Lufkin, Mitutoyo (their 8" digital caliper *rocks*), old
> Brown & Sharpe, and a handful of "Chinese junk" that is in my
> carry-around toolbox.

i like Starrett, but have come to the conclusion that Mitutoyo offers
better value for the money.

richard
--
Richard Welty