RE: More questions about measuring instruments

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: More questions about measuring instruments
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:02:57 -0800
> Is there any reason to get a set of inside micrometers or a dial
> bore gauge
> instead of a set of telescoping hole gauges?

I believe there is less potential for error using the more expensive tools,
but with care you can come darn close with telescoping hole gauges.  The
biggest problem is not moving the gauge in the bore while you tighten the
knob that locks it, which means you want a very smooth and secure lock.  I
suspect this is the main difference between the $10 sets and the $100 sets.

One potential advantage of the telescoping gauges (for those of us with less
precise measuring tools) is that they allow you to use the same tool to
measure the bore and the piston.  Thus, only relative accuracy is important
(which is usually better).

> Also, since my 0-1" and my 2-3" are Starrett mics, I'm looking to complete
> the set.  Should I stick with Starrett or is there any reason not
> to go with
> a cheaper brand, with similar accuracy, for the casual use my mics see?

As long as the accuracy (not just the resolution) is what you need, I don't
see any problem with less expensive mics.  Your grandchildren may wish you'd
bought the Starretts <g>

Randall