Re: Cleaning oil off asphalt

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning oil off asphalt
From: "Rand E" <rande@mwis.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:15:26 -0600
> > Any recommendations on how to clean a long trail of Mobil One 1550
> > off concrete pavers?

I'll ask the same question but on an asphalt surface.  Any suggestions?

> Amazing but true: You can douse the spots with gasoline, scrub them
> with a brush, and then cover the spots with oil-dry (kitty litter) for
> a few days. One or two treatments will really do an amazing job. I've
> always used this technique inside the garage, so you'd either have to
> have a spell of dry weather or divert water from these areas and cover
> them during cleaning. I've also used a product called Oil-Eater, which
> is designed for the same purpose, and you use absorbing granules to
> suck up the stain.

I can't use gasoline on asphalt.  It'll eat into the material and begin to
make the surface soften.  On new spots I've had fairly good results with
liquid Tide laundry detergent.  Just pour a some on, scrub it in, maybe let
it sit, then hose it off.

Randy
rande@mwis.net