RE: Cutting blocks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cutting blocks
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:17:24 -0800
Mike Rambour wrote:

> p.s. Like I said its my first concrete project, my neighbor had a good
> laugh when he saw me welding up the rebar for a 55"X59" slab. he mentioned

> something about Junkyard wars overkill.

Since, as your neighbor said, the rebar was overkill this should be OK,
however do note that standard rebar should not be welded. Standard rebar
(i.e. rebar not explicitly marked as weldable) gets its strength with
relatively high amounts of carbon, and does not take well to welding. It
will generally be quite brittle somewhere in the heat affected zone. Wire
tying is the best approach.

Harry Phinney