Re: co2 vs. nitrogen?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: co2 vs. nitrogen?
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:57:45 -0500
At 09:57 AM 10/23/2002 -0400, Mark J. Andy wrote:
>The co2 guys are claiming that they have a special co2 regulator that
>allows higher flow without freezing and that co2 has more energy than
>nitrogen.

CO2 refills are cheap.

I tried using CO2 with a welding regulator but it didn't flow enough CFM to
run air tools. I balked at paying $200 for a "special" regulator.

I eventually found a high volume regulator in the Surplus Center catalog
for $49.99. It's rated at 4000psi inlet, 0-500psi outlet, and 200 CFM. It
has 1/4" NPT ports. It comes with allen head pipe plugs in the gauge ports.
The regulators are new (not pulls) and are still supported by the
manufacturer "Circle Seal".

I added a 0-4000 psi HP gauge, a 0-200 psi LP gauge, an NPT to CGA thread
adapter (CO2 tank), and a standard air hose quick disconnect. I use it to
run air tools away from home and it works great.

Surplus Center is in Lincoln, NE. They don't have a web site yet, but you
can reach them at 1-800-488-3407. The part number for the regulator is
20-1365. Ask for a catalog- they have hydraulics, pneumatics, motors,
switches, relays, gauges, fans, etc.

--
Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com