Re: Scuba tanks

To: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Scuba tanks
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:15:37 -0700
From: "Derek" <dereklola@yahoo.com>

> Mark wrote:
> > I did this with scuba tanks . . . .  Fills are
> > about $2 per, about 70-80 scfm.
>

> I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string - but how long
> did your 70-80 scfm last?  Typically what did you manage to do before
> one ran out? I like the $2 price!
> Derek
> PS - reply to the list if you like - others may like to know.

I used it just for tires and with a blowgun.  The gun would last for a long
time, probably 200+ short bursts of air.   Tires? I only filled bicycle
tires from dead empty and topped off car tires.  Doing a bit of guessing so
I can use some old geometry formulas: assume a tire is a torus (OK, donut)
with a 24" large diameter and 6" small diameter gives a volume of about 1.25
cubic feet (2.467 x big diameter x small diameter squared).  So to fill it
to 40 PSI (3 atmospheres of pressure) from 'flat' would take about 5
standard cubic feet.  So you could do it a bunch of times, but not a really
large bunch of times.  And a lot less if you had to seal a bead (probably
about zero times!).

Mark.