Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:18:53 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Don Malling wrote:
> I'm looking at Mig welders and trying to decide if I need one with
> infinitely adjustable heat controls or whether the ones with 4 settings
> are good enough. The Lincoln SP135Plus appears to have infinite heat
> controls while the Lincoln 135T has 4 settings. It's about $150.00 price
> difference.
>
> Is Lincoln a good choice. Any good places to buy them?

I have a Lincoln SP-175.  I like it pretty well, but the MillerMatic 175
(I think it is) seems to be a bit more ruggedly built.  I think either
would be fine.

I'd recommend against a 135 unit.  I used a Millermatic 135 at a friends
house and there's a _noticeable_ difference even at my novic level.  I was
welding 1/8" bedframe rails and that was about all the 135 wanted to hear
about.  With my SP-175, that kinds stuff is super easy.

> Sand blasters and Air Compressors
> =================================
> I was looking at an Ingersole Rand 80 gallon with 11 cfm at 90 psi--
> single stage compressor. 11 cfm seems adequate for most tools, and I was
> told that I could get by with less -- maybe 9 cfm at 90 psi.

I'd recommend a two stage unit.  IR makes a good one for around $1k IIRC.
5 hp 60 gallon or something like that.  Maybe a T-20?  Either way, I'd
think you'd want a _lot_ more air for a sandblaster than what you have
above...

> The big question is sand blasters -- it's the biggest reason to get the
> compressor. I am completely confused. I see a sand blaster gun and a
> siphon tube for $15.00, and then I see other sand baster equipment for
> $200.00. I have no idea what I need.
>
> I will be sand blasting parts and repainting them. I will also use it to
> sand blast rust for car body repairs. I understand sand blasting can
> heat and warp car bodies.

If the parts are small enough, I highly recommend getting a blasting
cabinet.  Outside sandblasting is messy and you go through sand pretty
quick.  If you do end up with an outside unit, get a pressure-fed one vs.
a siphon fed unit.  I've used both, and the pressure fed ones are about 1
million times better.

> Is Ingersole Rand a reasonable choice? I heard that they are very
> noisy??

I've never heard anything bad about IR compressors.

> How much torque do I need -- Is 250 ft-lbs adequate or do I need more.
> Again this is for occasional home use. If I need to use liquid wrench on
> the bolt and let it sit, that would probably be OK. On the other hand if
> 250 ft-lbs is simply not enough, I would spent the money to get
> something more adequate.

A mechanic friend of mine says it best... "ratings don't matter for shit"
:-)

IMHO, get an IR 231 1/2" impact gun.  This is the standard shop gun around
here and works great for around $100 or $120 or so.

Mark