Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: Mig welder -- Sand blaster and air compressor -- Impact
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:55:47 -0700
>Mig Welders
>===========
>I'm looking at Mig welders and trying to decide if I need one with
>infinitely adjustable heat controls or whether the ones with 4 settings

  Can't answer that one, i have the sp135plus and I love it.  Never used
any other MIG so I don't know.

>Sand blasters and Air Compressors
>=================================
>I was looking at an Ingersole Rand 80 gallon with 11 cfm at 90 psi--
>single stage compressor. 11 cfm seems adequate for most tools, and I was

   Bigger the better for air, you won't be sorry that you went too big
especially if you are going to be blasting as they use the most air.

>The big question is sand blasters -- it's the biggest reason to get the
>compressor. I am completely confused. I see a sand blaster gun and a
>siphon tube for $15.00, and then I see other sand baster equipment for
>$200.00. I have no idea what I need.

   The siphon tube sand blasters work but you will consider them useless
once you have used a pressure sand blaster, the difference is that great
and I assume that is the cost you are seeing.  The pressure blasters works
tremendously faster than a syphon blaster, you mention that speed is not a
issue but it is when it is boring tedious work.

>Is Ingersole Rand a reasonable choice? I heard that they are very
>noisy??

  I have not heard that complaint about them for the standard compressors,
I do know that all oilless compressors are ridiculously noisy and I last
summer went for broke and purchased a big and very quiet Champion to
replace my oilless compressor.  If the IR that you are looking at is
oilless then yes it is noisy.

>Air Impact Wrenches
>How much torque do I need -- Is 250 ft-lbs adequate or do I need more.

   go to "insert your favorite place here" and buy all the cheapest air
tools you can find and they will work just fine...for the impact DON'T
skimp get the IR-2131 it will cost you $160-!80 and it worth it.

   Mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/