RE: electric motors (free for a good home and a questions)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: electric motors (free for a good home and a questions)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:03:06 -0700
> I had the same thought some time back... but haven't overcome the brake...
> when you get it lifted...how are you going to hold it in place..

One way to deal with this is using a worm drive (if you can scrounge one).
Of course, then you have to reverse the motor to let it down, but most
induction motors can be modified to run in reverse (switch the leads to the
starting winding).  I've been mulling over making some lifts for lighter
weights (100 pounds) using automotive electric window motors, which have the
worm drive built-in ...

Another thought might be the motor (or even just the brake) out of one of
those battery powered 'scooters'.  They usually have a "fail-safe" spring
loaded electromagnetic brake.
http://www.rascalscooters.com/scooters/econo_200.html
Way too expensive new of course, but 'dead' ones are sometimes pretty cheap.

Randall