Re: Cording the Cordless Orphan

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cording the Cordless Orphan
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 18:10:25 -0400
Steve Shipley wrote:
> While cleaning out Mom's rental house I've doubled my collection of unmatched
> orphan tools.  But now I'd like to use one.  It's a Makita 3.5 inch
> circular saw.
> The charger is missing.  A new battery is 50 bucks.
>
> Since this is a 9.6 volt tool, would it be possible to convert this thing
> to run on AC?
> My guess is that the average Radio Shack AC to DC converter for a transistor
> radio would be too small.
>
> There's nothing on the tool to indicate what its current requirements might
>be.
> Any ideas on the feasibility of rewiring this thing?  I hate to throw it away.
I have one of those little saws, Steve, and frankly, it isn't worth
bothering with. At best it can only be used to cut trim, and the
batteries don't last very long in use. As for converting it to AC, I
will say that none of the wall transformers I have seen can deliver
anywhere near the amperage that is needed to run the saw.

I hate to throw mine away too, but it just sits there gathering dust. A
new battery will run you about $20, by the way, and old ones are pretty
much worthless. You can probably fine a charger on Ebay - I can give you
the part number of of mine of you want to try.

Mike

> Steve Shipley
> Seattle, WA.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate
in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

         - Plato (427?-347? B.C.)