Re: Good used tow vehicles?

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Good used tow vehicles?
From: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:56:26 -0400
I would think your truck should handle the load you are looking for, unless
you live in the mountains.
> The current truck is a '98 Chevy 2500HD.  2wd, 350 Vortech & 4L80E, 4.10
> gears (we think.  Turns ~3k rpm at 70mph in 3rd), tranny cooler, etc.

I have never cared for Chebbie diesels either might be late 80's stigma left
in me. However I hear the new HD Chebbies have a PTO drive if you could use
something like that.

> Seems like if I want to buy a used dually diesel, I'm choosing between
> Ford and Dodge.  I have yet to hear a positive thing about non-Duramax
> Chevy diesels.

I am a Dodge fan but the current Ford HD style came about around 98. The
Dodge is in the process of changing their HD truck to look like the new Ram
1500 as we speak. The last year body style came about in 94, however if
going HD with a Dodge (V-10 or diesel) avoid 94 and 95 as the rear ends were
not up to snuff and failed. Okay if you have a warranty but not now. I would
look 98 or newwer for the Dodge as the interiors were redegsigned that year
and are more comfortable, anothe bouns is the quad cab became avail. that
year and it can be nice for loading larger objects into the cab. The
Chrysler automatics have always been a weak point but it is luck of the
draw, I would go for a five speed if you really want a true tow rig. Ford
allows to get a 1 ton truck without duals, Dodge only has their one ton
avail with the dual wheels. Another item to consider is the Ford Excursion
built on the heavy duty Ford truck frame and allows everything on the tow
rig equipment, family and friends to be enclosed. This is avail with the
V-10 and diesel from Ford, if that is a need.

> In particular I'd like to know if there are any years to stay away from in
> the Dodge and Ford ranks, when Dodge & Ford moved to the latest body
> style, if there were any major upgrades, etc.  Seems like the Cummins gets
> the nod over the Powerstroke maintenance-cost-wise in the opinion of my
> mechanic friends, but it seems like the Dodge auto tranny is weaker than
> the Ford?  I also prefer the Ford body and name over the Dodge, but not to
> the extent that I'd look over a good deal.

If you have the cash get either a Ford or Dodge 1998 or newer. The debate on
which is better can go on and on. Ford will always have more fans but they
sell more trucks but when looking at trucks 20 plus years old there are very
few Dodge and Fords out there of any good quality because they are used and
used until replacement is needed. Chevy's exist but they are always lightly
used 1/2 ton jobbies.

Gino
01 Dodge Ram Sherrod Conversion Van-96 Miata(for sale)-95 Wrangler-79 LiL
Red Truck(for sale)-62 Chrysler Newport (19K org miles)- ?? Lotus 7 Replica