Re: Good used tow vehicles?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good used tow vehicles?
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:36:14 -0400
Mark J. Andy wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> (Off topic a bit I know.  If its too far off, please ignore!)
>
> So I'm thinking of getting an enclosed trailer for next year, and I'm not
> too sure my current truck will handle it.
>
> I'm thinking about a 26' or 28' enclosed trailer, loaded up with a 3k lbs
> car and all the support equipment (another 2k?).
>
> The current truck is a '98 Chevy 2500HD.  2wd, 350 Vortech & 4L80E, 4.10
> gears (we think.  Turns ~3k rpm at 70mph in 3rd), tranny cooler, etc.
I think your present truck would do fine for pulling about 7,000 (figuring
another ton for the bare trailer). Check the specs in your owners manual. If
you
have a choice of where to put your money, I suggest that you investigate a
goosneck trailer, rather than a frame hitch. Just my opinion. I haul more
weight
than that with an old '87 Ford F-350 with 6.9 L diesel and have no problem.

Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's
start with typewriters and computers."
Solomon Short