Re: lighting configuration for workshop

To: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: lighting configuration for workshop
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 12:10:53 -0400
David Scheidt wrote:
> ...  there are also fixtures that
> are specially designed for cold weather/ condition use (like inside a
> freezer).
>
> For shop lighting, this shouldn't really matter, as if it's too  cold for the
> lamps to work, it's too cold to work on the car!

   That's only half true in my situation though. I live in Ottawa, so we
have winters that get kind of cold. That's also a time when a lot of us
do a lot of the work on the car, you drive the summer and keep it
together as best you can, and do all the repairs in the winter when the
car is off the road.

   I have a natural gas heater in my four-bay garage, and even when it's
20 below outside I can spark up the heater and in a short while it
starts to get comfortable. I can make the garage fully warm in any
weather, it just takes a bit of time.

   However, I need light to do a lot of these things, which is why I
have incandescent backup lights. I go into the garage, turn on all
lights, and the incandescent ones go on but some of the flourescent ones
don't kick in just yet.

   Then I fire up the heater, and start setting up to work as it gets
warmer and the rest of the tubes start coming on and in a few minutes
it's fully bright.

   So while I don't want to work on the car in a room that's 20 below
zero, that doesn't mean I don't want my lights to come on...

PS: Good info.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca