Re: lighting configuration for workshop

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: lighting configuration for workshop
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 00:32:10 -0400
Phil Ethier wrote:
>>I would like overhead fixtures to flood the whole area with light, and
>>these should light up quickly (not slow like florescent lights).
>

> Eh?  My florescent lights got from off to full brightness in less than a
> second.  Why would you need anything faster in a shop lighting system?

   That was my post as well, however, after I posted, I thought of a few
  exceptions that perhaps Jan might be thinking of.

   The standard flourescent lights, with the 4/6/8 foot tubes, seem to
light instantly and go to full light right away. I have those in many
rooms in my house, as well as my garage. I can't think of any reason
anybody would object to the start-up time of these lights. By the time
your hand is off the switch, they are basically full-on.

   However, I know at least one kind that doesn't. I replaced a few of
my always-on light bulbs with those screw-in flourescent replacements
for  that use only 10w instead of 60w and deliver the same light. The
plan was to save electricity for those lights that I leave on all the
time, like the one in the cat litter area. (in order to pay back the
cost of the bulb, it has to be a light that is on almost all the time)

   They seem to take at least 10 minutes to reach full brightness, and
are surprisingly dim when first turned on, and cast a very yellowy light
that isn't too pleasant.

   When I first bought a package and installed one, I though "ungh, this
is unacceptable, these are going straight back to the store", instead of
a 60w bulb they seemed like a 10w nightlight. But after a few minutes
they were fine, and since I leave the lights on all the time, that was
good enough for me.

   Perhaps Jan has experienced flourescent lights similar to this?

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca