RE: Multiple 220v outlets

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, stuart.a.galt@pss.Boeing.com
Subject: RE: Multiple 220v outlets
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
> Then I used wire nuts to connect the
> upstream, downstream, and outlet.  Yes, this uses more wire than
> just attaching the wire to the outlet, but for some reason I can wire
> a neater box and it is relatively easy to stuff everything in.
> The inspector seemed to like it.

The last line, of course, is key.

I did my garage this way, too. The story I got is that inpectors
prefer this because it avoids the problem of a "device" (read
outlet) failing and leaving, say, the downstream chain partially
disconnected.

There's also the difference in pass-through current rating - that
most 115V duplex outlets are only rated 15A pass-through, rather
than 20A direct.