RE: Multiple 220v outlets

To: "Andy Poling" <andy@realbig.com>, "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: RE: Multiple 220v outlets
From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:08:26 -0700
Now I'll have to check the book again tonight.  Can you tell me the
chapter and verse of the NEC where it says that?  Maybe this changed
recently.  (It wasn't that long ago that metal flex conduit didn't
require a separate ground wire.)

I've seen this done in every house I've lived in.  GFI outlets have the
second set of lugs specifically labelled for this purpose (so the
outlets downstream are GFI protected, too).  Okay, okay, there's enough
about a GFI outlet that's different from a normal outlet that maybe the
second set of lugs serves a different purpose on a GFI outlet than on a
normal one.

Yes, I know you can also break the little tabs and have each plug on a
separate circuit (or have just one be switched) but I swear that you at
least used to be allowed to daisy chain them this way.

Here's my logic -- If the tabs between the lugs on a 15 amp outlet
couldn't carry 15 amps, only one outlet on a normal duplex outlet would
be rated at the full 15 amps.  Given that the tabs are apparently good
for 15 amps, what's the harm in connecting another 15 amp outlet
downstream of the first one?  At most 15 amps will go to the second
outlet, and yes it flows through the breakoff tabs, but they're rated
for it.