Re: Shop rags

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shop rags
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:03:37 -0500
Scott wrote of medical supply rags, scrubs, etc . . .made me think of one of
handiest cloth-type items in my shop . . . I bought about a dozen naval
hospital bed sheets at a surplus store once . . about 50 cents each.  They
were new sheets, top quality cotton, but they  had  "Naval Medical Supply"
dyed into the cloth.  They are perfect to wrap up  motors, mask areas while
painting and most useful to absorb solvent runoff while cleaning engine
bays, motors & components.  When it's too cold or hot to work outside, I'll
clean up a motor right on my painted shop floor with a few sheets soaking up
the mess . . . Strangely, I accidently discovered that if I hung the soiled
and soaked sheets on the rack out behind my shop for a couple of weeks, the
oil and grease mostly evaporates!  I shake the dirt off and throw them in
the washer . . they come out badly stained but who cares?
Tony