Re: Flooring for portable shelter?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Subject: Re: Flooring for portable shelter?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:24:05 -0400
At 01:49 PM 5/29/02 -0700, Jim Franklin wrote:

>I just bought a 12' x 20' "portable" shelter, those garages with a frame
>and pvc/plastic cover & walls. What do people use as a floor in these?
>I'll be putting it down on grass/dirt, and don't have time to do any
>excavation, really don't feel like paying for nice pavers. I'll be storing
>motorcycles in it, just after I replace the clutch in my jeep in there.

Jim,

  What we've done on my dad's is to place cynder blocks next to each other
to completely fill the inside of the shed.  Actually we layed the blocks
to cover an area slightly larger than the shed.  Works quite well as long
as you floor is above any low areas in your yard that are prone to flooding,
or standing water.

I made piers for mine and had the "floor kit", and layed 1/2" or 3/4"
plywood on it.  Unfortunately, that didn't work.  In a few years, the
plywood started to rot, and the shelves started falling through the floor
since it wasn't totally supported.  I lifted the shelves up and placed a
long 2x4" under the legs to help transfer the weight over more of the
plywood floor.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan