RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: RE: next question - cable access vrs DSL
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 21:32:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Randall Young wrote:

> While people will argue all day over the performance differences, the truth
> is that it depends more on your ISP and the site you are accessing than on
> the access method itself.  In theory the cable modem is faster, but you
> share that bandwidth with others in your neighborhood, so at least
> potentially your split of the bandwidth could be smaller than the dedicated
> bandwidth you get with DSL.

the guy at the local two-guy computer shop told me just the opposite--with
dsl you 'share' x amount of bandwidth and how fast your connection depends
on how many other users are active on your line at the moment.  as well,
he said your physical location on the line could affect speed, i.e. those
'upstream' from you (between you and the switching equipment) have 'dibs'
(my term) on the bandwidth and their use will more affect you than will
the use of those 'downstream' from you.

cable, he said, was pretty much constant no matter what.

now, I have absolutely no idea how true any of this is, but if anybody
knows I'd be interested in hearing the how's and why's and some theory if
you want to share.  we just got dsl available out here and I've been
resisting because sprint (phone co. offering the service) requires you to
use (or at least pay for) earthlink.  on the other hand, I'll probably be
the only dsl user on the node so it should rip.

I figure cable can't be too far behind, or else we'll finally move back
into civilization and I can have whatever I want.

scott