Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers..

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CBs and Lawn Mowers..
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:21:54 -0500
Brian wrote:

> I've tried to get my mower blade sharpened here in
> Fl, for less than the cost of a new one, but sadly,
> it costs more to sharpen it. I still have two sitting
> in the garage waiting until I get around to sharpening
> and balancing them myself, or finding someone who
> does it cheaper.

Though I'm seldom an advocate of cheap tools,  here's a application that
fits: Visit  http://www.homier.com    .  They sell a 4 1/2" 10,000 rpm disc
grinder complete with a side handle, disc guard, wrenches and disc for $
5.95!   I bought one off their truck but they are the same price online.  It
does everything my high priced Makita does for the chump-change price of 6
bucks!  Perfect to lay around the house and do sharpening jobs, padlock
"removal" and amazing chores with the fitting of a sanding wheel or disc.
One caveat:  I think it's smart to fit a  good Makita or Forney disc . . . I
feel they are safer (!) at 10,000 RPM.   On a couple of my mowers, I can
sharpen the blade on-the-mower . . Balance isn't that critical . . . the
unbalanced load on the blade, doing all it's cutting in a 180 degree arc, is
far worse than a gram or two of weight on the blade tip.
Tony Clark
(free advice and worth every penny!)