RE: CBs and Lawn Mowers..

To: "Mike Sloane" <msloane@att.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CBs and Lawn Mowers..
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 14:19:47 -0400
Mike Sloane [mailto:msloane@att.net] wrote:
> as skilled small engine mechanics are hard to come by.

Funny thing is, my brother is one.  He has a shop out in California where
he the machine work on small engines (mostly motorcycles and "jet skis".  But
he bores out the engines, etc.  When you take you engine, bike, ski, etc. to
the shop, they send it engine to him for the work...   However, the shipping
costs from Virginia to California and back would be a bit too high.

Besides, the crank was bent all the way up into the engine (gap on one side
of the seal, the flywheel on the top rubbing on the brake...)

> I should point out that the bent crankshafts were on Sears (made for them by
> Tecumseh) machines. None of the shops in our area will work on Sears machines
> except to change the oil, spark plug, and air filter.

I have a Sears snow blower that blew the rod out the side of the Tecumseh
engine because it's governor failed.  But the engine was replaced under
warranty, and it's never given a problem since (not that I use it much
anymore after moving to Virginia).  My new Sears lawn mower (it was the
best for the money) has a Briggs & Stratton engine - I avoid the other
brands...   8-)

Tim Mullen