Re: Ordered a parts washer

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ordered a parts washer
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 13:41:30 -0400
Latex is organic.  If you're using a chemical that will attack the latex;
yes, latex is bad.  Kind of like using a cotton glove to protect against
water.  The glove has to be resistant/immune to what you're sticking them into.

The major gloves types are latex, nitrile and vinyl.  There must be 100
websites with chemical/glove charts and they're probably in all the
catalogs as well (msc, mmc, direct safety, etc).  Pick a proper glove for
what you're using/doing.

Some people here say they use the SA with their bare hands.  So does my
father-in-law.  I have kero in my parts washer and 10 gallons of SA waiting
for the change out.

At 08:31 05/01/2002,  Jim Franklin was inspired to say:

>SO latex is bad? At what point does the danger of latex outweigh the
>chemical it is supposedly protecting you against? I also thought latex was
>non-organic, therefore couldn't be an allergen. Is it really an allergy
>or just a heightened sensitivity? Would it be safer, from a latex absorption
>standpoint, to not use the gloves when using the SA?

Cheers!