Re: Ordered a parts washer

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Subject: Re: Ordered a parts washer
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:15:50 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 1 May 2002, Jim Franklin wrote:

> SO latex is bad? At what point does the danger of latex outweigh the
> chemical it is supposedly protecting you against? I also thought latex was
> non-organic, therefore couldn't be an allergen. Is it really an allergy
> or just a heightened sensitivity? Would it be safer, from a latex absorption
> standpoint, to not use the gloves when using the SA?

Latex is organic, it comes from rubber trees.  Latex allergy is a real
allergy, and a real health concern.  I believe the allergy is to a protein
in the latex, but I'm not certain.  Sensitivity is caused by exposure, so
you might consider using nitrile rubber gloves, which cost a bit more than
latex, but are resistant to many solvents.  I wouldn't stick my bare hands into
a parts washer very often.

David