Bearing supply houses

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Bearing supply houses
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 17:16:26 +0000
While we're on the subject of industrial supplies -- a somewhat related
topic is bearing supply houses -- also known as "mechanical power
transmission distributors" or "PT distributor".  These are different from
general industrial supply houses like McMaster or Grainger.

A PT distyributor typically carries bearings (of course) and related items
like seals and Speedi-sleeves, and lots of other hard mechanical components
such as belts, pulleys, sheaves, roller chain, sprockets, gears, Loc-tite,
some hydraulics & pneumatics, etc etc.  Their primary customers are
industrial end-users and OEM's, but lots of their products are useful for
automotive & shop purposes.

There are three major, national chains:  Applied Industrial Technology
(formerly Bearings Incorporated), Motion Industries (formerly something else
I forget), and Kaman Industrial Technology.  All of these companies have
branches in many major cities. Some tend to have stronger coverage in
certain regions -- Kaman, for instance, in New York & New England.  I think
each of these companies has something like 100+ branches in the U.S.

They do not have a "catalog" of their products.  They carry too much stuff,
and it is too technical.  They are actually distributors for OEM's like
Timken, SKF, Chicago Rawhide, Gates, and other well-known names.  Each of
the OEM's has a catalog, which you may or may not be able to get.

Each branch of Applied, Kaman, and Motion has outside salesmen who call on
industrial companies in the area. They also have inside salesmen who stay at
the branch -- this is who you will likely deal with. They are glad to sell
to anyone, private individuals OK. HOWEVER -- watch out -- there are STEEP
discounts to industrial accounts.  They may treat you as an industrial
customer & give you the discount.  It never hurts to ask (or just act like
you're there for your company).  CALL & GET QUOTES from all three before you
buy, I have had prices vary by as much as 100% from one place to another.
And no particular pattern -- sometimes Kaman is low, sometimes Motion, just
depends on who is looking up the price & if they assume you're a business.

All three have web sites where you can find the branch nearest you:

www.appliedindustrial.com
www.kaman-ind-tech.com
www.motion-ind.com

I find these places useful for bearings & seals.  They can help you identify
a bearing (if you have the used/old one in hand) by number, or by
dimensions.  Same with seals. They are usually much cheaper than buying the
same bearing or seal through an automotive parts supplier.  Also, their
salesmen are often very knowledgeable & trained -- look for the grayhair in
the office when you go in.

There are also smaller, regional or local bearing supply houses --
especially in areas that do not have a branch of one of the Big Three.  In
my area we have Erie Bearing, Brown Transmission, Bearings & Drives, and a
few others.  You can find them in the Yellow Pages or in a regional
industrial directory.

Mark Palmer