FW: Ordered a parts washer

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Ordered a parts washer
From: Gil Fuqua <gil.fuqua@cci-ir.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:45:34 -0500
I use a solvent based parts cleaning fluid in my washer.  It works great but
is nasty stuff that requires nitrile gloves if you want to keep the dermis
layer intact.

I have a 30 gallon tank on my washer (30 gal drum under a sink).  I put 10
gallons of parts cleaner in the tank and 10 gallons of water.  I added a
drain pipe that extended to almost the bottom of the parts washer so when
the fluid drains back into the tank, the fluid goes to the bottom where the
water is and floats back to the top where the pick up for the pump is in the
solvent portion that floats on top.  This arrangement serves to filter the
solvent somewhat and leaves the heavier stuff trapped in the bottom of tank
in the water that does not remix with the solvent.

I also added a large size hydraulic filter (10 micron) on the input side of
the pump to further clean the fluid.  The addition of the water and the
filter served to greatly clean up the solvent that gets recirculated.

Gil Fuqua
Nashville