Re: Ordered a parts washer

To: ericm@lne.com
Subject: Re: Ordered a parts washer
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:42:29 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/02 4:26:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ericm@lne.com
writes:

> I had Simple Green in my Harbor Fright 20 gal washer, and it
> made the paint on the inside come off in sheets, the pump stopped
> working and the inside of the lid started corroding.
>
> I wouldn't put SG in a parts washer again.
>
> My parts washer is sitting out in the barn providing a home
> for spiders, but when I set it up again, I'll use something
> that's made for parts washers and has a rust-preventative
> as well.  Sucks to get a steel part all clean only to have it
> rust up the next day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Actually, when I was using mineral spirits and motor oil in my old 3 1/2 gal.
Harbor Freight parts washer, all the paint came off it in sheets, just like
yours.  I don't think it was the cleaner in either case, just poor metal prep
in China before painting it.  I peeled off the rest of the paint and left it
that way.  The motor oil in the solution must have kept the rust at bay.  I
threw the thing away when the spout broke the plastic pump outlet.

That is a good point, though.  At $69, I don't expect the paint to be any
better than the Harbor Freight variety.  If it all peel off, an aqueous
cleaner will allow it to rust.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget