Re: drilling brake rotors

To: "Rand E" <rande@mwis.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: drilling brake rotors
From: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 21:27:55 -0500
> What is the difference between the "real" PF pads and the AutoZone stuff?

Like most items sold by large chains the products are manufactured to the
stores specs. For example last week with our Jeep, it devolved a leak at the
end of the steering sector shaft (sort of a common Wrangler problem) after
trying new two aftermarket seals, where the store (not AZ) I ended up giving
up and ordering a Mopar seal, upon its arrival I measured the three seals
and the Mopar seal was .005 inches thicker and formed an excellent seal.
Maybe this was an unusual error but twice and the parts supplier swears that
their molds are to factory specs.... .005 on each seal can add up to a lot
of rubber saved, or $175.00 steering boxes being sold.  Basically AutoZone
wants to sell a name brand item for X number of dollars, they contact that
manufacturer and say can you do it and the manufacturer decides if it can be
done for that price point and if so the item is made but something has to be
sacrificed to make the price. I am not saying the less expensive parts won't
do the job (you bet they will, lawyers are watching out for our best
interests here ;^) ) but there is a reason that one part is $20.00 and one
form a different supplier is $80.00. I personally don't think the AZ PF pads
are any better than any other pad they sell, but if you buy a street pad
from PF direct they are different colors and do seem to stop better.

Mercedes is also a good example here a Mercedes 20 yrs ago was a better
built car than it is now as they used to design and build the best car for
the nice group they want then price it, now Mercedes sets a price point and
builds the best car they can for that nice group without exceeding that
price point. No offense to Mercedes they still build one hell of a car but
compare a new 2003SL (new design) to a 2001SL (1990-2002)(which is the last
car they built without regards to price) and the fit and finish of the older
car is far better than the new car, yes the new car has more toys and is
more expensive, but the details suffer. And this is not just me saying this
but Mercedes owners I know and even their owners mag "The Star"

Does this make sense?

Gino
2003 Mini (ordered)-01 Dodge Ram Sherrod Conversion Van-96 Miata(for sale)-
95 Wrangler-79 LiL Red Truck(for sale)-62 Chrysler Newport (19K org miles)-
?? Lotus 7 Replica