RE: compressed air system components

To: "jniolon@wans.net" <jniolon@WANS.NET>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: compressed air system components
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:32:45 -0500
jniolon@wans.net [mailto:jniolon@WANS.NET] wrote:

> I've got my air system plumbed <...> I usually add lubricant at each
> tool before use.  I don't want to contaminate all my hose (200 ft)
> by using a lubricator.  <...>

It depends on how much you're going to use the tools.  If you are a
production
shop, I'd add a lubricator on lines for tools, and keep a separate lines
and
hoses for painting.  Otherwise, I'd just do what you are doing.  Add
regulators
and filters to the lines and add oil to the tools before use.

One of these days, I'm going to get around to installing hard lines...
By the way, I only recently added a filter, and sometimes I actually do
remember to squirt oil in my tools...

> <...> any experience with the tank auto drain system offered by
> Harbor Frieght ??  is it a good deal or junk ??

I recently bought a new one from Harbor Freight to add to the low part
of my
hard lines (if I ever get around to installing them).  It looks like it
does
the same thing as my old one, but I haven't hooked it up yet to check
it...

I bought a similar one from them (at least I think it was from them)
many
years ago.  It is meant for occasional use (weekend mechanic)
compressors,
as it only "drains" when the pressure drops low -  if you have a large
compressor that you leave "on" all the time it won't help you.

Basically the "drain valve" adds a very slow leak to the bottom of my
air tank,
so the water drains out - then when the tank pressure drops below about
10 PSI, the valve opens and all the water is released.  If I've been
using
the compressor a lot (i.e. sand blasting), a lot of water comes out.
It's
been working for me for over 15 years without a problem - although it's
scared me silly a couple of times when I've been in the garage a couple
of
hours after turning off the compressor and the thing has suddenly gone
"WHOOSH"...  =8-o

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA