Re: Slab for an outside lift

To: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>,
Subject: Re: Slab for an outside lift
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 07:26:32 -0600
Couple of comments..

First the altitude of the shop floor is your major concern.... if you can
live with it above the current grade there is no harm in building it up....
BUT.. you do have to have some form of footer which maintains the
monolithic slab in the same location over time....This is a 12-18" deep and
wide trench around the outside of the slab.

Second as for the Plastic between the base material and the Concrete....
The Plastic serves two purposes.... one it keeps the moisture from under
the slab from migrating through the concrete to a Carpet....( not seeing
this as an issue ) and secondly it prevents the water in the concrete mix
from seeping into the base material during the pour thereby allowing the
concrete mix design to be stable during the pour and the subsequent curing
period.

Keith