Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 02:23:28 -0500
1.  You can buy a plastic piece from JC Whitney for $6-7, that's where I
got mine.  I gave it away yo my father-in-law and he's never returned it so
I did a variation on the 2x4 (which always splits) and used a hockey
puck.  Cut a slit down the middle and it works great.  If your cup has
taller rims, stack 2 and contact adhesive them together.  Hockey pucks make
great bench blocks too....

2.  Common in the telco field.  $40 for a set, can do coax.  Sensing
through drywall will be tricky as the signal attenuates rather quickly and
the pickup neds to be close to the wire.  But..  I'm sure there's a high
power model and the variable volume pickup does help a bit as well...

3.   Sorry, don't weld nuts...  :-O

At 17:03 01/10/2002,  Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing was inspired to say:

>Hey everyone!
>
>Hope you all had a great holiday season!  I was fortunate enough to get
>some nifty
>presents, and some free time to actually try them out.  Of course, in our
>household,
>that leads to more open-ended projects and dumb questions... =8^)
>
>So I finally got the nice Lincoln service jack that I've wanted for quite a
>while.  Now that I have it though, I can't figure out a good way to use it
>w/o possibly damaging the cars' undercarriages.  I could have sworn that the
>jack I saw had something to lift a car by the pinch weld; looked sort of like
>a plastic block with a slit in it, but the jack I got has a standard cup-like
>lift pad.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about and where to get one?
>
>Present #2 was a neat little tv/vcr combo to stick in the workshop.  I've just
>got to find a way to route the cable to it.  On the side of my house,
>there are
>5 cable lines feeding into the house.  The thing is, there are only 3 cable
>jacks inside the house (none of which are close to the workshop), and only 2
>of them work.  Where did the other lines go?  I'm interested in figuring out
>where they went, and hopefully find that one of them is close to the workshop.
>A few years ago, when the alarm guy was over to install some more sensors, he
>had some he called a "warbler" (?) which he used to determine where some of
>the existing lines ran so he could tie into them.  He was in a rush, so he
>wasn't able to take the time to explain what it was, or how it worked.  Well,
>I'm thinking something similar to that would be the ticket to figuring out
>the cable lines in our house.  How does something like that work?  Or is there
>another (easier?) way to find out where the lines go, other than knocking down
>drywall?
>
>And finally, I got a nifty little carbon fiber do-dad for my motorcycle; an
>exhaust heat guard.  To install it requires welding 2 nuts onto the exhaust
>pipe.  The exhaust is made out of stainless steel, while the nuts, and my
>welding setup are for plain steel.  Now, this isn't really a high-stress
>application, as the part weighs a couple of ounces, but the exhaust will get
>very hot, and is subject to a lot of vibration.  Would I be able to weld
>the nuts on with my MIG setup, or do I need to get some stainless nuts and
>have a shop weld them on for me?

Cheers!