Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing

To: "Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing" <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and tracing
From: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:49:08 -0500
Some nice new toys. For number 1 (the jack) , if you are careful you can
lift a car by the pinch welds. I have worked in shops for years and have yet
to see one of the pads you are talking about being used. I have seen a few
of those pinch welds bend however. Just jack for a solid portion on the car.
But if you must have one of the pinch weld things I belive Eastwood company
or Groits Garage sells this item, if not find the Lincoln dealer and get one
through him.

> So I finally got the nice Lincoln service jack that I've wanted for quite
> while.  Now that I have it though, I can't figure out a good way to use it
> w/o possibly damaging the cars' undercarriages.  I could have sworn that
the
> jack I saw had something to lift a car by the pinch weld; looked sort of
like
> a plastic block with a slit in it, but the jack I got has a standard
cup-like
> lift pad.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about and where to get one?

I have one of these in my shop also, has a built in FM radio also. I just
mounted a second dish to the shop and ran the wire in, but since you have
cable this is not an option but what about going to Radio shack and buying
one of the 2.4 ghz Wireless room to room Video senders
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT
LG%5F002%5F004%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1972 or cat # 15-1972. Split on
of your known outlets and attach to the sender and then use the reciver on
the TV/VCR, this way also if you have a big project outside of the shop (ie
bathroom remodel) or even a cookout you can use the TV almost anywhere and
still have cable. Also will allow you to move the TV around your shop
freely. Good Luck.

> Present #2 was a neat little tv/vcr combo to stick in the workshop.  I've
just
> got to find a way to route the cable to it.  On the side of my house,
there are
> 5 cable lines feeding into the house.  The thing is, there are only 3
cable
> jacks inside the house (none of which are close to the workshop), and only
2
> of them work.  Where did the other lines go?  I'm interested in figuring
out
> where they went, and hopefully find that one of them is close to the
workshop.
> A few years ago, when the alarm guy was over to install some more sensors,
he
> had some he called a "warbler" (?) which he used to determine where some
of
> the existing lines ran so he could tie into them.  He was in a rush, so he
> wasn't able to take the time to explain what it was, or how it worked.
Well,
> I'm thinking something similar to that would be the ticket to figuring out
> the cable lines in our house.  How does something like that work?  Or is
there
> another (easier?) way to find out where the lines go, other than knocking
down
> drywall?

Gino
2003 Mini (ordered)-98 Chrysler-96 Miata(for sale)-95 Wrangler
79 LiL Red Truck-75 Spitfire(for sale)- 62 Chrysler- ?? Lotus 7 Replica