RE: Question about Radiant Heated Floors and drilling for

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Question about Radiant Heated Floors and drilling for
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:33:51 -0800
> Manually-operated tire-changing machines might be a problem.  One
> might have
> to affix the machine to a base large enough for the operator to stand on.

FWIW, I've tried that, would not recommend it.  The base has to be not only
large enough to stand on, as you walk around the tire changer on the end of
the bar, but extend past where you are standing enough to form a lever, and
be quite strong.  It takes a lot of force to change the tire, which all
winds up trying to bend the platform, and lift you off the floor.

I now have 4 lead anchors in the middle of the garage, which the changer
gets bolted to with 5" lag bolts when I'm changing tires.  Afterwards, it
gets unbolted and put back in the corner.

Randall