Re: Trailer Interior

To: Tom Shirley <tshirley@vol.com>
Subject: Re: Trailer Interior
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 07:59:10 -0800 (PST)
>I'd read sometime back that someone suggested a
material available from Home Depot that was like
plastic for finishing trailer interior walls. I'm
building a trailer for hauling the vintage racer and
doubling as a residence at the track. I'd like the
interior to be something nicer than OSB but at
the same time, not too expensive.

That may have been me. I was talking about some stuff
I used to panel my shop. 1/4" Melamine coated MDF. SKU
# 97726062483. I recall it was under $15 a sheet but
have not seen it in the store this year. They have the
thicker 5/8" stuff at about $20 a sheet but that is
too heavy for a trailer. Makes great, easy counter/
workbench tops though.
My trailer is finished with 1/8" "doorskin" plywood
panels that are painted white. More work, but less
capital expense, I hope....about $12 a sheet plus the
$2 or $3 for painting. I think this is more "puncture
proof" than fiberboards.
Another option is "tile board", basically tempered
masonite with a hard plastic surface, about $20 a
sheet. It has the characteristic dark brown color of
tempered masonite on the back. It is very tough and
often used in bath tub enclosures so would hold up
well in the trailer. It usually has an embossed tile
like pattern or funny gold streaks or flecks that you
may or may not like.
Avoid "standard" light brown colored fiberboard. It is
not moisture stable, it will swell and buckle in your
trailer. It is cheap, about $8 a sheet but will not
last. Tempered masonite is dark brown in color, about
twice as expensive, a bit thinner, maybe 3/16", and
will work as well painted as plastic coated. It also
makes great workbench top material.

>A local salvage place sells cheap paneling for around
$8-10 a sheet. I considered something like that with a
coat of white paint as an interior wall material. Does
anyone have any suggestions for a wall material in
this
general price range?

I suppose, if this stuff is plywood based. If so, it
will work just like the "doorskins" I described above.
It may even be 1/4" instead of 1/8" which would be
both heavier and stronger. My doorskins do bow a bit
between the support ribs, not bad for hauling but
maybe a problem for a "camper".
It could also be pb based panelling, the really cheap
stuff often is. This would not be good, reasons
described above. This stuff has a contact paper type
wood image applied that would peel the paint off in
addition to all of the above described problems. It
never has the grooves to simulate individual boards
that the plywood type stuff usually does.

>Tom and Sharon Shirley

=====
Dennis Hale
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1