Re: Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can there be too many outlets? (was: Re: Another
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:47:47 -0800
Jim Juhas wrote:

> I do hear stories, from time to time, about uncooperative building officials.
> don't know those stories 1st hand, so don't know how the parties conducted
> themselves.  I can only speak to my experience, which has always been
>favorable
> and productive.

I heard this second hand, so discount it.

Apparently the City of Seattle inspectors were defending the union
contractors by inspecting but not instructing homeowners.  Their
point was, if you don't know how, you should find some who knows.

One of the functions of the union is to train electricians and
these guys were journeyman electricians. I believe this happened
when the building trades were being hurt by the economy and the
inspectors were facing layoffs.

I don't want to get into a political discussion on the rightness or
wrongness of this practice, but when I heard about this I could
understand why it happened...(if it did).  Wouldn't be a pleasant
job to have to train the guy in the trade where you were going to
be looking for a job soon.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA

///