Results of powder-coating polished brass

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Results of powder-coating polished brass
From: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:45:33 -0500
Last week I asked about coating brass after polishing.  Not much in
the way of replies, but I thought I'd try powder coating (clear).  It
worked --- it's still fun to put such a hard, shiny coat on things
without painting ---  but the polished brass darkened a bit during the
baking process.  Not bad, but it's just a little darker than freshly
polished brass.

Growing up as a musician playing brass instruments, I remember taking
care not to spoil the "lacquer" on the instruments.  Whatever it was,
it lasted a very long time (I had one trumpet that was over 50 years
old and still had a fine shine under the clear coating).  ANYBODY know
what this was?  Can't get spray cans of clear lacquer at Wal-Mart
anymore (they're all enamels of some sort); the auto paint suppliers
here no longer sell any lacquers either - forced to only sell stuff
with low VOC numbers.

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University

///