Re: Metal marking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Metal marking
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:58:54 -0700
"Landaiche Kenneth (NET-BBS/Petaluma)" wrote:

> Last night I was scribing some stainless steel to cut it and could not
> see the marks very well. I vaguely remember seeing a dark dye or paint
> that could be applied, then scribed through making it very easy to see
> the markings. A stop in the local hardware store (If We Don't Have It,
> You Don't Need It!) brought a vague notion of something called "Prussian
> Blue". But they really didn't know anything about it. Any ideas?

AKA layout dye or machinist's bluing.  One source is Enco
http://www.use-enco.com
or any industrial supply should have it.

Great stuff, I use it frequently, usually when trying to fit two parts
together.  Paint one with dye, rub the parts together, the high spots
transfer the dye.  Work down the high spots, repeat.

Randall

///