Wood stove for shop

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wood stove for shop
From: "Wayne" <wrace@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:53:06 -0700
Hello all,

I am looking at installing a freestanding wood stove for additional heat in my
detached shop. This would be supplemental heat for when I am working in the
shop on weekends etc. I have electric heat to keep the building well above
freezing. I have researched a number of different heating options and have
settled on wood heat as the best alternative for my situation.

Couple of questions for you folks.
1. Any recommendations for a free standing wood stove? I will begin looking
for a used one through the local classifieds first. Any particular brands
suited to this application?

2. What is the preferred method to exhaust the stove. Straight up through the
roof or through the sidewall? I will begin researching the local codes, but
was wondering what the common wisdom on this is?

Here are the specs on the building:
944 sq. ft.
17 ft. 8in. peak height.
13 ft. eave height.
Metal pole building construction.
Finished framed, fully insulated (including the roll up doors), and sheet
rocked.
4 in. concrete slab.
3 roll up doors, 2 man doors.
Center mounted ceiling fan.
The wood stove will need to go against the back wall, with proper set back of
course. Roof height in this area is ~14 ft.  Wall height is ~ 13 ft.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Wayne

///