Re: Powder coating oven

To: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>, Shop Talk
Subject: Re: Powder coating oven
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:20:36 -0400
Bill Gilroy wrote:
> Here is a summary of what I have gotten back so far.
> Q2.  Would the heating element create a uniform temperature in the bigger
> oven?
> A2.  Not sure about this.  It might not be a problem.  I guess the
> best thing to do would be run a few tests and see if there is that
> much of temperature differential.   A fan could address this problem
> but I think that would be costly.  Maybe two heating elements from two
> ovens.  Then I would need just 2 220 outlets.   I will have to check
> with the two physicists that I know.
> 2.  Scrounge a container like you intend to build at a scrap yard.
> Perhaps an old chest freezer?  Every dump has a number of those,
> though you may have to search a bit for one 6 feet long.
> 3.  A gun safe would be perfect (fireproof), but you aren't likely to find one
> cheap.

I think you are getting close to the target here. You want a vertical
box that is about the same dimensions in plan as the oven. In other
words, build up vertically from an oven sized box. The heating elements
in a an oven are shaped to distribute heat evenly over that plan area.

The interior walls should be metal, an old refrigerator may work well. A
old metal wardrobe would be a good starting point too.

If you are building your own, place the insulation against the metal and
leave an air gap between the insulation and the wood exterior all the
way around. Leave the air gap open to the atmosphere at the edges of the
top, and it will act like a chimney drawing any heat that passes through
the insulation away from the wood. This is how ovens keep their exterior
surfaces cool.

Sorry this is late reply, but I was in Indy for the F1 race.

Jon

///